This round fortified tower dating back to the 13th century perches on top of a mound or motte, hidden in a small wood overlooking the river Afon Llynfi and Talgarth.
Pop along to this neat yet imposing castle and appreciate why Richard Fitz Pons, an Anglo-Norman lord first built a castle here in 1100. As always it was about location! You could also call to mind the drama of poor Mahel, Earl of Hereford who, according to historic documents, was killed by a stone hurtling through the air when a fire ravaged the castle in October 1165.
How to get there
South of Bronllys village on the A479
OS grid reference: Explorer Map OL13 SO149347
P – layby opposite
Free all year round access
Shops and toilets in the nearby villages of Bronllys and Talgarth.
Access for disabled visitors: several flights of steep steps leading to the tower and to the top.
What there is to see and do
climb up the three floors to the top of the 24 metre high tower,
admire the views over Talgarth towards the Black Mountains,
imagine keeping watch at this important meeting point between two valleys,
take a look at the two baileys each with their own bank and ditch.