Great activities to do in Winter
There are plenty of places to visit in our National Park during winter. If you’re looking for short winter breaks, wrap up warm to enjoy a cosy winter getaway to the Brecon Beacons.
1. Enjoy a magical walk – with over 1,200 miles of public rights of Way in the National Park – perfect for cosy walks all wrapped up in your winter woollies. Find our walks here.
3. Cosy up in our of our pubs – Need we say more? It’s cold; you want a cosy pub with a roaring fire and bustling atmosphere. What better than a pie and a pint after a bracing winter walk in the Brecon Beacons? Check out some of our best pubs and inns here.
4. Plenty of Cafes for a hot chocolate and a piece of cake – A blustery walk is nothing without a hot chocolate stop mid way and or at the end. Find a cafe here.
5. Dark nights, bright stars The Brecon Beacons National Park is an International Dark Sky Reserve and offers visitors the chance to see the Milky Way, major constellations, bright nebulas and even meteor showers on clear nights. With some of the highest quality dark skies in the UK, the Park makes for an idyllic retreat for stargazers. You’ll find some of the best stargazing spots in Europe – here is our top 10 places to go stargazing.
6. Catch a great show There’s plenty to see at Theatre Brycheiniog. Brecon It hosts theatre, dance, comedy and tribute bands throughout the year. Or why not watch a movie in Wales’ oldest cinema The Market Hall Cinema, Brynmawr.
7. Start your Christmas shopping – our national park has plenty of independent high streets, it’s a perfect way to get in the mood for Christmas and start your shopping. Find out more here.
A visit to Hay Thursday market is a must. The market is held every Thursday 9am to 2pm.
Artisan Bread | Fruit & Veg | Hot Food | Meat & Game | Fishmonger Organic Produce | Jewellery | Pies & Savouries | Locally Roasted Coffee | Cards & Gifts | Plants & Cut Flowers | Cakes, Pastries & Treats | Antiques, Vintage & Flea | Cheese & Deli | Music & Films
Christmas dates for your diaries! Hay’s Thursday Market is open *every* Thursday in December, including between Christmas and New Year.
8. Take some time to relax – Here in the National Park we are lucky to have some fabulous spa hotels, retreats and clinics in beautiful, tranquil surroundings. Click here to book.
9. Listen out for wildlife – Dusk can be a busy time in the natural world. As the sun sinks, starlings call and swirl in the sky before settling down to roost, while owls take flight and nightjars hunt for insects, churring softly. Walk along a waterside path on a summer’s evening, and you may hear otters whistling to each other. To find out more, visit our pages on wildlife-watching.
10. Book a trip – come for a weekend, short getaway or longer holiday there is plenty to do in the Brecon Beacons over the winter months. Settle in for a stay you’ll never forget. Search all our accommodation here.
Finally make the most of your visit, download our digital visitor guide
Our digital area guide is downloadable and available offline. With an interactive map, you can be sure to find the best places to visit, things to do, great walks and places to eat & drink. Download it here.
Plan ahead, find out more about visiting our National Park safely here