Children’s Canal Walk and Nature Detective Trail from Brecon Canal Basin
Help Brownie find his horseshoes and find his friends footprints
One hour each way with stops along the way.
Brownie the horse has lost his shoes between Brecon and Brychich Lock. Can you help him find them?
- The Obelisk marks the start of the Taff Trail which runs from Brecon to Cardiff- 55 miles
- Look for 2 different types of map: a metal relief map of the Brecon Beacons and a hand drawn map of Brecon.
- This little white house is thought to be the starting house for a race track that used to exist here.
- A Find the ceramic panels on the wall which tell the story of the canal.
- Look for a Blue Plaque on the wall. What years did the time traveller live here? What does his name say backwards?
- Look at the Bridge number Can you see there are two arches? What was the second arch for?
- Here is Brownie and his keeper on a tram track. Where did Brownie take his loads from here?
- Read the panel about the lime kilns. Where did it come from? What was it used for?
- Look for the wooden bench with a map on it. What does the red spot mean?
Look out for birds – Can you hear them? Which ones have you seen?
- The informtion panel will help you answer.
All the bridges have numbers. what is the number of the next little bridge after the big tunnel?
Look for the silver rail. This is a weir where the canal water overflows into the river below.
From the bench with the Taff Trail post you can see Pen y Fan. It is the tallest mountain in the Brecon Beacons at 886 metres.
- How many organisations funded this bench?
Can you see the pile of planks? They are used to block the canal when it needs repairs.
This is Brynich Lock. A lock fills and empties to take boats up or down the canal