Waterfall Country is a stunning region of the Brecon Beacons National Park and Fforest Fawr Geopark, and the Waterfalls Centre in the village of Pontneddfechan provides a great starting point to explore this beautiful area.
The Centre houses an exciting interactive exhibition showing the origins and uniqueness of the Fforest Fawr Geopark, the formation of the waterfalls and the effects of the rocks on the lives of people through history to the present time.
It is an ideal place to start a walk along one of the many paths to the waterfalls and to visit the mysterious remains of the gunpowder works and silica mines which hint at the hive of activity and industry that once filled this enchanting place.
To walk behind the curtain of water at Sgwd yr Eira (Waterfall of the Snow) is an experience never to be forgotten! Derek Brockway's Weatherman Walking series also features a walk in this area.
Waterfalls Centre, Pontneathvaughan Road, Pontneddfechan, Nr Glynneath, SA11 5NR. Tel: 01639 721795. Email.
October-Easter: 9.30am-1pm and 1.30pm-3pm Weekends Only
Easter-Sept: 9.30am-1pm and 1.30pm-5pm Daily
1. It's brilliant. There's so much ideas and information and I love the Rock Around the Clock (a family from Newcastle)
2. Very interesting and educational. Great Centre (Laura of Milton Keynes)
3. Lots of really interesting information. Well designed Centre. Thank you. (Karen of Pontneddfechan)
4. This place is awesome. The computer things are really cool ! (Madison of Bridgend)
5. Fantastic Info with clear displays - everything you need to find out a bit more about your visit. Very helpful staff - makes it all so much easier ! (G of Canterbury)
6. Canolfan diddorol. Cefngwlad brydferth ! Balch i fod yma. (Claire and Rob of Pontypridd)
7. Very informative and well presented. DVD really informative and great interactive wall features. Geology was never this interesting at Uni. (Thomas of South West England)
8. I didn't think I would find waterfalls so interesting but I do. Plenty to see and do (Amanda of Ely, Cardiff)
9. Very informative. Not familiar with this area but will be visiting more from now on (Fiona and Wayne from Llanelli)
10. I haven't been for some time and thought the Centre is super now. Much expanded and really educational and interesting. Well done and thank you. (Diane of Hereford).
11. Very interesting - I now understand why the Brecon Beacons are shaped the way they are (Visitor from Germany).
12. A very nice centre for understanding the Geopark (Soojae from the Korean Environment Institute).
If you cannot get to the waterfalls in person, why not listen to our audio trails and podcasts instead or download them and bring them with you when you visit.
Why not add to the enjoyment of a walk around the National Park's and Geopark’s beautiful Waterfalls by hiring one of our Geo
Rucksacks for your group?
You can use the pack to help you discover what plants and animals which live in this woodland area of Millstone Grit rocks and the Nedd Fechan River, by identifying their names and finding out some interesting facts about them.
The rucksacks are suitable for school groups, families and individuals and are light enough and small enough to be carried by a child (approximate size: 30cm x 25cm).
There is a daily charge for hire of £5 and a deposit of £10 is required which is refundable on the safe return of the rucksack and contents, when returned before closing time on the day of hire at the Waterfalls Centre.
Activity Rucksack contents:
• A Guide to Woodland Plants Filed Studies Council (FSC) chart
• The Tree Name Trail FSC chart
• The Woodland Name Trail FSC chart
• Guide to the top “50” Garden Birds FSC charts
• The Fungi Name Trail FSC chart
• A Passport to Sgwd Gwaldus:draw & label recording leaflet x 4
• Bug magnifiers + view pots x 2
• Binoculars x 1