Either use the Apply On Line facility on the left hand toolbar, email HR@breconbeacons.org or post your application to the Human Resources Department, Brecon Beacons National Park Authority, Plas Y Ffynnon, Cambrian Way, Brecon, Powys. LD3 7HP
Standards Committee Appointment of Independent Member
• Are you a good listener?
• Are you inquisitive?
• Can you weigh up often conflicting evidence and reach an effective conclusion?
• Can you work as a team?
• Do you have respect for others and an understanding of diverse ethical issues?
• Do you have integrity and good character?
If the answer is yes to these you may be just the person we are looking for to become an independent Member of the Authority’s Standards Committee. It comprises 3 independent members and 3 National Park Authority members. The Standards Committee is crucial in maintaining high ethical standards at the National Park Authority. Briefly its aims are to advise, assist and guide Members in the adoption, monitoring, operation, enforcement and review of various local codes of conduct and other ethical guidance and promote high standards of member conduct.
Unfortunately the following CANNOT in law be an independent member:
• a serving Member or Officer (or the spouse or civil partner of a member or Officer) of the National Park Authority, any other National Park Authority, a County or County Borough Council, a Fire Authority, or a Community/Town Council
• former Members or Officers of the National Park Authority
• former Members or Officers of any other National Park Authority, County or County Borough Council or Fire Authority until at least one year after ceasing to be a Member/Officer of that Authority.
The Authority has further agreed that independent members should not have a close relationship with any Member or Officer of the Council.
Independent members are appointed for a period of between 4 and 6 years and may be appointed for one further consecutive term.
The Standards Committee usually meets about three times per year although independent members will need to have flexibility as to availability since the Committee sometimes has to be called for unscheduled meetings at a few days notice.
Independent members are paid an allowance as follows:
Chairman £256 (daily fee) (£128 for ½ day)
Ordinary member £198 (daily fee) (£99 for ½ day)
Travel costs are paid at 45p per mile and all expenses are claimed in arrears via a claim form in line with the Authority’s procedures.
For more information or an informal chat, please contact Rhiannon Edwards, Monitoring Officer on 01874 620461
Closing Date: 10th June 2013
Interview Date: 5th August 2013