What we do
The BBNPA will provide learning experiences that support the statutory purposes of the National Park, this will be done by meeting the following aims;
- To encourage awareness and understanding of the special qualities of BBNP.
- To encourage awareness and understanding of the special qualities of Welsh National Parks and protected landscapes within and around the Brecon Beacons National Park and Fforest Fawr Geopark.
- To raise awareness and promote a deeper understanding of National Park purposes, policies and activities – the work of the Authority
- To provide a unique park specific experience (outdoors) that is not available through any other source
- To provide learners with the opportunity to have an experience relating to the National Park purposes face-to-face, in the park, on-line or through written material
- To ensure the health and safety of all learners/participants and retain our Adventurous Activities Licensing Authority (AALA) as a minimum standard. Please find a copy of our Risk Management Statement here.
- To provide learners with an enjoyable experience of the National Park
- To create learning opportunities for all, including those who have not traditionally had such opportunities in the BBNP
- To demonstrate the principles of sustainability through learning materials and in practice, and by supporting Eco Schools and attaining and maintaining Eco Centre status for NPA centres
- To work in partnership with internal and external partners to promote and implement the effective and safe use of the Brecon Beacons National Park for learning.
- To communicate to all people having a learning experience within the boundaries of the National Park that they are in the National Park.
- Support the provision of learning opportunities in and about the Geopark designated portion of the park
- To meet the needs of learning providers (schools, colleges, outdoor education centres, public organisations, home educators, universities, youth groups, adult learners) through the development and provision of learning services, including those in Welsh.
- To enable educators to learn how to utilise the National Park as a place for learning (i.e. through INSET days)
- To incorporate national and international education efforts (UNESCO decade for ESD, Curriculum Cymreig 2008/9) as they arise into this iterative document.